...And her name is Sophia Rose. She was born on December 13 at 7:41pm. She weighed in at 6 pounds 5 ounces and 19 inches long. She has lots of dark hair and her Daddy's olive complexion. (YAY!) She has her Mommy's lips and feisty personality. I also think she has Daddy's eyes but it is a bit too early to tell just yet.
It all started at 3:30am on December 13. I woke up to go to the bathroom and thought it sure was taking a while to finish. The thought crossed my mind, "Is this my water breaking? Nah!" So, back to bed I went. At 4:30am I was awakened with the need to pee yet again. I went in to the bathroom and sat down. That is when I noticed something peculiar...my water had indeed broken. I was in shock! We were not due for two more weeks! I sat there for 20 minutes trying to convince myself that my water hadn't really broken. Finally, reality set in and I got up and got in the shower. I knew I needed a good one since it might be a while and I wanted to be minty fresh for the day's adventure. After showering, I went in and told Michael that I was "pretty sure my water just broke". He didn't believe me at first until he realized that I was already showered. He got up and did the same while I finished the last minute packing of the hospital bag. (It was one of the few things I hadn't finished on my "To Do" list. I had planned to finish all of this when we got home from church later that very day.) So, in between contractions, I gathered up what I still needed and then we headed to the hospital. By the time we got there and in the room it was almost 7:00am. This is where the fun really began!
After getting me all checked in and checked out, they confirmed my water had indeed broken and I was dilated to a one. I thought, "A one? Crap! This is already more fun than I had anticipated." I told the nurse, "Any time they were ready, I was ready for my big fat epidural." She laughed and sent for the anesthesiologist. It took him about 45 minutes to get there and another 15 or so to get set up. By this point I had begun using the lovely breathing exercises we learned in our 6 weeks of prenatal classes. Also, my contractions weren't coming at regular intervals nor intensity so they put me on some petocin. This is where Nancy's dream delivery looked like it was going down the crapper.
The epidural didn't take.
"WHAT?!! I should have felt it working by now? Well, I don't. Argg!" So, the very sweet and capable man tried again. This time, he got blood. Not good. He tried again. And again. Yep. 4 times with no success. By this time, now dilated to a 4, it was around 1:00pm and Nancy is no longer trying to be the brave little soldier she thought she should be. I told the nurse through tear streamed eyes that "I needed something to take the edge off or to help me deal with this lovely childbirth experience...even if that meant she would have to club me over the head with a mallet." They gave me some sort of narcotic which helped for about 45 minutes. Then the fun came back...this time bringing friends. The "man with the drugs I really wanted" came back in and said he could only try one more time. If it didn't take, the epidural wasn't going to happen.
Let me just say that in all of the reading, preparation and planning for this event, I had prepared myself. I knew it was important to keep an open mind because things might be different than expected. I wanted a "down town" birth but if I had to have a C-section for whatever reason, I would accept it. Same with an episiotomy and whatever other surprises came my way. But the epidural was NOT one of those things in which I was willing to negotiate. It was a sure thing in my head. So, needless to say, I was one freaked out puppy. I said a huge prayer...pleading with the Lord to let it work. Around this time Michael found someone who could help him give me a priesthood blessing. The "man with the good drugs I wanted" came back in with an idea. He maneuvered me into a new "Indian Style crossed legged while leaning over my legs and grabbing my cankles" position to see if that would help him hit the correct spot. It was then that he found the problem. Due to a previous car accident, my back had some issues and he had been going in the wrong place this whole time. Nice! So, we all crossed our fingers and toes whilst he tried one last time ...and it FINALLY WORKED! I started not feeling the party going on. I went from ARRGGG to AHHHH within about 15 minutes. Nancy liked the drugs very much. (Side note: I admire all those who want to do it Au natural. If that is how you want to do it, more power to you. I am just not that girl. Please don't judge.)
After my brief bout of euphoria as well as tears shed due to the overwhelming feeling of gratitude for prayers being answered, they did an ultrasound to find out what position the baby was in. She was head down, as she should be. But they couldn't tell which direction she was facing nor could they tell from the "down town" exam. So they kept on keeping on with how things were. I went from being dilated at 4 to a 10 in about an hour and a half. Sure was glad the epidural finally took!! So, it was time to push. And push I did....for another hour and a half. That's when my fantabulous doctor came to the rescue. He was not on call that day but came in any way to do my delivery. Have I mentioned how much I heart my doctor? Well, I do. Anyhoo. After being there a total of 10 seconds he realized our little gal was in the posterior (face up) position. This is a more difficult position to deliver and she wasn't going to move much more. So, he had to turn her whilst in utero. At this point I was shouting for joy that the epidural had finally worked. I can't even imagine what that would have felt like without the "good drugs". Once he got her turned around, it felt like I sneezed and she came out. (Okay. A bit of an exaggeration. But close enough.)
Then she was here!!! The first thing I saw was hair. Black hair and lots of it. YAY! I was secretly hoping she'd have her Daddy's hair color. She was, of course, covered in all the fun that comes with childbirth but all I saw was her. She was here. Michael cut the cord and then she was placed on my tummy and we said hi for the first time. She was beautiful!! My little monkey. She was crying and I tried to comfort her. It worked. YAY! Score one for Mommy! Then the nurses took her to weigh her and do their examinations. I couldn't take my eyes off her. It was a strange feeling...like I was a mother bear watching/guarding my cub from danger. I watched every move they made. She started crying again and didn't really stop until she was in Daddy's arms. One look into her eyes and he was a gone-ner! It was one of the sweetest moments I will ever experience...watching them meet for the first time.
She loves her Daddy and Daddy is a smitten kitten! Then Daddy gave her back to me and I didn't want to let her go! She cozied into my chest and there she stayed.
Our little family together at last.
6 comments:
You guys look so cute! I'm so happy for you. Now if we can just get her meds fixed so she can come home....we're still praying and thinking about you!!
Ilove childbirth stories (I know, I'm weird).
Congratulations on a beautiful baby!
PS - I learned after my first one, that the minute I stepped foot in the hospital to have them start paging the anesthiologist. By the time they mosy their way over to you, you are MORE than ready!
I am so excited for you to have your sweet princess! And she is less than 24 hrs older than Olivia! I am sure they knew each other! You know it doesn't surprise me that you dilated so fast after getting the epidural, because it really helps you relax and then let your body do what it is suppose to do. Same thing happened to me. We will continue to keep your sweet baby in our prayers.
We're so happy for you guys! Congratulations. It was so sweet to get to meet her in the hospital. I just wanted to cry. I could fell the spirit just Emanating from her. She is such a sweet heart. Let me know how i can help while she's still in the hospital. I have a gift from Denisha she left too, so let me know when I can drop that by. Love you guys!
Great blog post! Love you.... I hope things continue to get better for all of you!
xxoo
I just read this. LOVE it! I, too love birth stories. I am so glad that she is finally home with you guys, too! Love you! :)
Post a Comment